New Zealand all-rounder Colin de Grandhomme retired from international cricket on Wednesday after being unexpectedly drafted to play in Australia’s T20 Big Bash League (BBL) around New Year.
The 36-year-old’s selection as the “golden” pick for the Adelaide Strikers in Sunday’s BBL draft presented a conflict with his central contract with New Zealand Cricket (NZC), which runs until next July.
NZC said in a statement on Wednesday that de Grandhomme has decided to retire from international play and has been released from his contract.
Fellow Black Cap Trent Boult was also released from his central contract earlier this month to allow him to focus on playing in lucrative T20 leagues around the world.
Zimbabwe-born de Grandhomme, who has played 29 Tests, 45 ODIs and 41 T20Is for his adopted country over the past decade, says he has found international cricket increasingly difficult in recent weeks.
“I also have a growing family and am trying to figure out what my future will be after cricket,” he said in an NZC statement.
“I’ve been lucky enough to play for the Black Caps since my debut in 2012, and I’m proud of my international career, but I think it’s the right time to end it.”
De Grandhomme, who scored 1,432 runs at an average of 38.70 and took 49 wickets in Test matches, was part of the New Zealand team that won the inaugural World Test Championship last year.
“Colin has been a hugely influential part of the Black Caps and has contributed to some of the team’s best achievements,” New Zealand coach Gary Stead said.
“While it’s sad to see him go – we appreciate that he’s at a stage in his career where he’s looking to go in a different direction and we respect that.”
The head of the Global Cricketers’ Union (FICA) warned last week that the loss of talent from the international game to the T20 league is a bigger concern than ever.